Challenging times have taught me two powerful lessons: storms don’t last forever, and pressure has a way of creating power. These are not just motivational words to me, they are experiences I have lived through.
There was a season when my business did not work. The effort was there. The commitment was there. I showed up every day ready to push forward. But the results were no longer matching the energy. The steady flow I was used to became inconsistent. Calls reduced. Deals stalled. Income slowed. I kept wearing confidence on the outside, speaking hope with boldness, but inside, I knew I was navigating a storm.
At home, two little lives depended on me. Their laughter still filled the house. Their belief in me never shook. And that silent trust became my greatest responsibility.
One afternoon remains unforgettable.
Before my girls returned from school, I had already stepped out with one of the gadgets in the house. It wasn’t easy to consider selling it, but ensuring there would be food on the table mattered more than holding onto possessions. I moved from place to place, trying to sell it. Explaining. Negotiating. Hoping someone would agree.
But life has its way of dealing with people. No one was ready to buy. Some said “maybe later.” Others simply weren’t interested. With each rejection, reality sank in deeper. I returned home with the same gadget in my hand, heavier, not because of its size, but because of what it represented.
I sat quietly for a moment. Thinking. Calculating...
Then they came back from school.
My 2year old walked in gently. She looked at me with complete trust, the kind that believes everything is already taken care of.
That day, it wasn’t.
When it became clear there was nothing ready, her little face slowly changed. Confusion. Then discomfort. Then tears. She cried openly, honestly not understanding the situation, just feeling the hunger of the moment.
Watching her cry her eyes out of hunger was one of the hardest moments of my life. I carried her, rocked her, whispered comforting words I was still trying to believe myself. Eventually, she cried herself to sleep.
That day, it wasn't.
When it became clear there was nothing ready, her little face slowly changed. Confusion. Then discomfort. Then tears. She cried openly, honestly not understanding the situation, just feeling the hunger of the moment.
Watching her cry her eyes out of hunger was one of the hardest moments of my life. I carried her, rocked her, whispered comforting words lwas still trying to believe myself. Eventually, she cried herself to sleep.
Across the room, her 5yr-old sister quietly turned to the television and began watching cartoons. The cheerful sounds filled the room, almost in contrast to what I was feeling inside. She sat there calmly, perhaps unaware of the full weight of the situation, or perhaps understanding more than she showed.
And there I sat, between a sleeping toddler and the sound of cartoons in the house feeling the weight of responsibility like never before.
Life doesn't always teach loudly. Sometimes the deepest lessons happen in silence, behind closed doors. Being the steady pillar in that house required strength I didn't know I had. There was no applause. No announcement. Just quiet endurance.
Struggles reveal reality. They expose limits and then stretch them. They show you who stands near when comfort disappears. Not out of bitterness, but out of wisdom, I began to see clearly. Pain can repeat itself unless someone decides to break the cycle.
That night, something shifted inside me. I realized hard times are not sent to break us, they are sent to prepare us. To sharpen our thinking. To deepen our faith. To build resilience. The sadness of that day did not destroy me. It strengthened my resolve.
Pressure creates power. Yes, my business did not work during that season. But I was working. I was learning. I was growing. And 1 was being prepared.
Storms don't last forever.
Afolabi Akinfenwa
Comments
Post a Comment